Kinga Janik (Bar 2000) is currently a Human Rights Officer for MINUSTAH based at Port-au-Prince in Haiti. She has worked for the Canadian Department of Justice for almost 10 years. Between 2000 and 2009, she was a legal advisor for the Department of Citizenship and Immigration, advising policy makers on refugee and security issues and corporate matters. During this time she had several positions and had been involved in diverse projects related to Human Rights Law. For almost 3 years, Kinga Janik was the Special Advisor to the Assistant Deputy Attorney General for the Public Safety, Defence and Immigration Portfolio. In 2008, she became a litigator and defended the government’s position before the tribunals. From 2010 to 2014, Kinga Janik devoted her time to her family and her thesis from Italy. In December 2013, she defended her thesis with success at University of Montreal. Her research interests are driven by an ethical approach and her main interests are refugee law, humanitarian cooperation, security and governance. In 2015 and 2016, in collaboration with University of Bari and Doctors without Borders, she worked on an international research project on the best welcoming practices for smuggled people arriving by sea studying the Italian experience.
List of publications
- “The Migrants Smuggling Protocol: An unfinished business “, The Inter-American and European Human Rights Journal(2016), 18 pp.
- “Extremely vulnerable people and state responsibility to protect victims of human smuggling”, in Nanette NEUWAHL (ed),Coherence and Incoherence in Migration Management and Integration: Policies, Practices and Perspectives, Montréal, Editions Thémis, 2016, 21 pp.
- Canadian Association for Refugee and Forced Migration Studies, Lecture on Designated classes: A valid regulatory device to proper humanitarian assistance, Toronto, May 13-15 (2015)
- L’évolution de la sécurité et son implication dans la transformation du droit de l’immigration au Canada, (to be published at Themis Editions at the end of 2015)
- Italie – “Pachetto sicurezza”: des mesures pénales du gouvernement de Berlusconi à l’égard des étrangers irréguliers in Bulletin de l’Observatoire international sur le racisme et les discriminations de l’UQAM, vol. 7, nu. 1, pp. 10-14 (hiver 2011)
- Department of Justice (bi-Annual Conference on National Security), Lecture on the new development on security cases before the Federal Courts, Montreal, September 21-23 (2006)
- Association Canadienne des Sociologues et Anthropologues de Langue Française, conférence sur les Obstacles à l’accès à la détermination du statut de réfugié (12 mai 2004)
- Questionnaire on Canadian Immigration Law, Barcelona Research Project on Comparative study and social transformation, co-written with François Crépeau (2004)
- L’étrange étranger: l’avenir incertain de l’immigration canadienne in Refuge Canada’s Periodical on Refugees, vol. 22, nu. 1, pp. 71-82 (2004)
- Department of Justice (bi-Annual Conference on Immigration), Lecture on the new implemented pre-removal risks assessment, Vancouver, May 17-19 (2002)
- La mise en oeuvre du Statut de Rome sur le plan national: le processus canadien in Compendium of the 29th Conference of the Canadian Council in International Law (CCIL), Kluwer Editions (NYC), pp. 16-40 (2002)